Monday, May 10, 2010

Reflections on Adam and coaching soccer:

Coaching soccer or any sport demands a lot of the man/boy....and....gives a lot to the coach. Approximately 500 young men (and there were about 3-5 young ladies before the advent of girls soccer) give their all physically...mentally...emotionally...and yes ...spiritually...... approximately five school days a week for roughly 60+ days in all kinds of weather.

The coach asks for commitment from the team and gives commitment...as a coach. Coaching...playing..is a joyful task....a fun endeavor....a try time....a meaningful meeting of the mind. When I volunteered in the fall of '84 to initially coach soccer for spring '85, I had a general idea...but not a real experience...what I was getting into. I had coached rec football...t-ball...basketball...and soccer and had done well, but this was real school soccer....Steve Lonker, my principal, had faith in me...!!!

Coaching gave my teaching an added interest and command, and I loved it. I felt that my knowing the kids so well built my soul....made me feel good about myself. My wife and two boys sacrificed for me, and for that I owe her dearly. She never cried or complained; she cared for the coach and our kids and for the boys on the team.

Two more things: Adam's life and death have made an impact on this coach that I'll never forget. He was an example of living and his death was a way of living so hard.

Second and last thing: When I called my team together in the auditorium for a final word that fall in '04...I hurt....yes, I cried....and I wrote. I hurt and cried because all these players were a part of my life and I knew I would miss them. I wrote each family a typed letter ( my handwriting was.....is terrible) explaining to them that I was not leaving them because I wanted to..................I physically had to......and I wanted them to know I was not quitting.........and I wanted/hoped their player...boy...child......would....not quit. either.................

No comments:

Post a Comment