Monday, May 10, 2010

Any reader of this blog may certainly gain at least one insight from this former soccer coach...that being (as I have stated before)...the many fine young men under my coaching. Trying to narrow the finest young men I have had the privilege to coach soccer under would be an enormous undertaking. There is one soccer player I only had in the seventh grade, who is now assisting the varsity coach, and is a good friend of my younger son who also coached PH now for the past 6 years. As I explain one specific incident involving Brad, you decide what you may about fine young men.

A couple of days before Adam died suddenly, Brad and I had agreed that he would take or help out in the specific practice that fateful Friday practice....not knowing the fate of Adam to be. After the ambulance had left the school ground with Adam for the hospital, I had announced or sent word we would practice for the last game that would be played next Tuesday. Little did I know the shock and the confusion to be as I had to meet the sweet, well-meaning middle school guidance counselor who appeared to be overly anxious to tell the parents that we were having no practice..or that she would get back with them.

Almost immediately before I could begin....Brad showed up and immediately offered to take the team and practice (in some fashion) and allow me freedom to address the counselor who appeared about three times....and a father or two who dropped by while I talked with passersby.

Brad was mentioned in two previous blogs....is now assisting the varsity coach....friend to my PH coach son....and brother to Chris (his brother and my son's name). As probably mentioned before, Brad was/is a gregarious....sincere...likable....outstanding soccer player who starred for me one short season.....varsity...Carson-Newman College....and finally Va. Tech.

So that Friday...Brad stepped up and brazenly/NO...thoughtfully... offered to lead my confused team in practice as I stood in some shock maybe...conferred with the counselor...various teachers... and some parents....an absolute blessing that particular afternoon to this coach. As it turned out, the counselor came again by sometime after four and said she told the parents finally to come. That fateful afternoon was saved by Brad....smiling ...sincere...thoughtful...discreet...helpful...the right person at the right time....!!

No comments:

Post a Comment