Friday, May 14, 2010

Having mentioned the impact of Robbie Scharpf and Scott Carter as the two key players on my first year team who played as seventh , eighth, and ninth players both exceptionally well as students and as good players, I kept thinking of the third player I just knew had to complete the three players....I was so sure, but have finally remembered the third player.

Shawn Niday, along with Robbie Scharpf and Scott Carter, was the third player who played well for me for three years. These three outstanding young men made my first team roster as seventh graders among the other eighth and ninth graders, and I am proud to realize what a great decision I made that first year...!!
Shawn was an impulsive and strong striker who over the three years he played set the record for 32 goals scored and proved to rank with Brad Collins in such scoring power. One example of his great scoring ability was his scoring three goals in the first half against a weak opponent and my sitting him out before the half was over. He became so "concerned" about being taken out so early that this star scorer "made a scene" to the point I had to hold him out in the second half. Another claim to fame this star player had was his being a brother of another player I was fortunate to have several seasons later who had a good power shot. His brother, Kevin, has played adult league soccer along with Ryan Ranson...and my son Chris..and several other ex players of mine that I have forgotten in my age.

Of course I had mentioned Robbie Scharpf before who was another original seventh grade player who showed maturity in his three years and scored seventeen goals along with the fourteen goals Scott Carter, the third three year player scored. These "famous three" all earned All District Player at least (there goes the coach's memory) their third year, if not more times...and are/were excellent representatives of this coach's twenty years of soccer....!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment